:: How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ::

Anne Frank

Sunday, March 25, 2007

March 25th Email from Ghana

The kids were so precious today all dressed up for church. Mark looked gorgeous, he had on a citrus orange shirt and khaki pants and I literally gasped when I saw him. It is evident that the children do love it here.

Yesterday Aimee helped Matilda cook “smoked fish/goat soup”. . It had grease floating on the top and it was like nothing we’d ever tasted! Not being used to it, I had to concentrate to keep from gagging. Both Aimee and I had to sip and lap up the soup and proclaim “mmmmmmmm” without gagging.

A funny little story about last night: It was 9:30 and we hanging out with the older kids. Marabelle comes up and says, “Don't sit near the grass--scorpions”. I said, “Oh really”? She answered, “Yes-- bite you hard? Hurt bad--but it not over.” I thought Aimee and I were going to crack up. I guess they are really bad during the rainy season. However, trust me it is not the rainy season though. It is so dry and hot we are melting. There is breeze that blows and helps with relief.

I will purchase “ball boots” for the kids. They are longing for soccer cleats. I will buy some in Accra before I come back to see them after the lake. Tommy tries to bring them from the states because he said the ones here tear up quickly. Also they desperately need gym shorts for soccer purchased in the United States. Tommy said they love those slick shorts.

Aimee and I went to the beach again last night. As we sat there in the darkness, she said, “Look how black it is out there. You and I would be afraid to get in a boat. Think of those kids going out night after night and being so scared.” It was painfully haunting.

The power kept going out last night and Aimee said, “I have never experienced complete blackness like this before.”

I just don't know what it is about Africa and the dark of night. Crista and I experienced the same feeling last trip.

3 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Thanks for keeping us up to date with your times at the Village of Hope. The children are so precious. Fortunalely, Gladys who takes care of the guest house cooked for us and the food was rather good. Tell Tommy Hello for me and tell him we talked about the Village of Hope and prayed for them at our home group tonight.
Tammie Hacker

RD said...

Hi Pam. My name is Russ. My wife and I recently returned to the States after 2 years of ministry in Thailand. We are blessed to read your stories about serving children and families in SE Asia and beyond. A friend just posted a story about child trafficking along the Burmese/Thai border that I thought would interest you. You can read it here:
Burma Story


Blessings to you.
-Russ

Unknown said...

Hey, maybe you can provide me with a list of things to take over when I leave May 1st? Each one on our team is bringing a trunk to fill up with needed items.

We leave in six weeks! We are so excited.

Joan