:: How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ::

Anne Frank

Friday, May 2, 2008

Go Fish...

Just hung out with the boys this morning playing cards. I taught them Slap Jack, Go Fish and Concentration. They loved it. Ebenezer can never travel to the US because if he got near Vegas we would lose him forever. He was stacking the deck and dealing off the bottom--the little cheat. It was a crack-up how competitive he was.

It was great to see Mark laying down on his stomach and four little boys playing Go Fish and laughing and cheering when they won the game. Mark is awesome this year and no longer a brat. Hagar is the brat. She is such a snot at some times. I had to sit them all down and talk to them the other night. Ezekiel came up and told me that Hagar said they were not special (just the 7). Such a girl thing, He was crushed. So George and I told them that they must be family and kind to one another and they all agreed and hugged and committed to try. It was a hoot. The cool thing was as George and George Jr. were walking away to leave, Mark said, "Mr. Achibra, can I pray for you?" I have it on camera. The OCC kid was about to cry and said he will never forget it. So here is giant George kneeling down and Mark grabbed his hands and started praying. Priceless.

After corrupting the children with playing cards we moved onto the art room and totally trashed it and had a blast. They love to color and write letters. So once again if I had a dollar for everytime I wrote my address at the top of their letters we could build another building. The highlight of the day was three of the kids (Hagar, Richard, and Ebenezer) getting golden tickets after library time. They have read X amount of books and then they can use it at the store to buy a book or Bible. Richard is one of the best readers, amazing.

So many cool things happening here. I have hid out in the computer lab for an hour because if I hear "Ma Pam" one more time in the next hour I might not survive. They just love the attention so much and there is never enough adults to go around.

Looking forward to the college kids leading "DO YOUR THING." It is hilarious to watch the houseparents and kids dance in the middle of a huge cirlce DOING THEIR THING.

No comments: