:: How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ::

Anne Frank

Thursday, September 4, 2008

Hopeful eyes

I'll have to tell you, it is hard to close out this series on my trip to Lake Volta. In a way it is the same feeling I had that day as we pushed our canoe away from Emmanuel's – like I can't just turn away and go on with my life – not while there are still Emmanuels out there - cold, hurting, and one big wave away from death.

But I'm not turning away. Not only will my days be filled with thoughts of these boys, but my dreams will be also.

It is not just the hollow eyes of the boys on the lake that push us, but also the bright, hopeful eyes of the boys we have rescued that help us see that we really can make a difference.

Please keep coming back to this blog over the next few days as Pam tells the story of the kids at the Village of Hope. It was so amazing to see the 21 kids that were just a year ago themselves out on the lake. I could tell you about each of these kids and how they have healed and grown, but the one that says so much is John Arthur.

John Arthur really started it all. His whole story is haunting, but briefly, one night after being beaten and tied to a tree by his master he escaped and ran to Kete-Krachi. Someone in the community listened to his story and immediately directed him to George Achibra, a man they knew would help him. At two in the morning John Arthur beat on George's front door and when George opened that door, he opened his life and all of ours to a problem that we are now determined to end.

Here is a picture of George and John Arthur that first night:


And now a picture of John Arthur at the Village of Hope two weeks ago. John is a handsome, confident young man, who I feel will someday make a big impact in Ghana.


Finally, I would like to thank my two new friends who joined me on this journey – Patrick Cone, who was videoing the journey for a Touch A Life documentary that fully explains the situations – and Rachael Wise, whose gift of photography will tell the story in a way words can't. If you know Patrick and/or Rachael, please get with them and ask them about Lake Volta. Like I told them on the lake, this is no longer someone else's story - it is your own.


If you would like more information on how you can help, please feel free to call or write Pam or I at prcope@mac.com or 417-673-0616.

5 comments:

Cheryl Russell said...

So beautiful! God Bless you. God Bless the children. You are all in our prayers. Thank you for sharing this beautiful journey of hope.

Anonymous said...

We will pray

coachbundy said...

I spent a summer ('94) in Ghana while in college at ACU. I spent time with the church in Kumasi and worked with some believers in the northern area around Tamale and Yendi. Wonderful, faithful people in Ghana. May God continue to bless your work there.

Paula Harrington said...

I am so glad I found your site. I will continue to pray for you and the Lord's work you're doing.

annie said...

Thank you for posting the pic of Patrick & Rachel. As his mom, it touched me so much!

He loves you two, & his stories of his time there have so impacted our family. The kids he saw on the lake & then at VOH will stay forever in his heart, & those who keep hearing about it.