:: How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ::

Anne Frank

Monday, April 16, 2007

Storms of Life

I spent all last week just resting up and regrouping to do life again. The trip to Africa was a very hard trip physically and emotionally. I have a real love/hate relationship with Africa. I love the people and children but there were times when I felt such despair and and hopelessness for the country that I was literally overwhelmed. I just could not comprehend the unjustice that is taking place on these small remote islands during the negotiations to free more slave children.

It's mentally and emotionally exhausting to think of ways to change what has become acceptable within a culture. For generations adults have caned children daily because his or her performance was not up to par. To beat a child due to lack of perfect obedience is the norm. When I think back to the stories of the village men laughing and bragging about the abuse of the children it is sickening. I need to pray for grace for these men who are called "masters".

The most memorable moment of the whole trip was out on the lake the day of the rescue. The storm had blown in out of nowhere. We had six children on the boat ranging in ages five to twelve who had just been released from slavery. In spite of the best efforts of the men in charge of our boat, it appeared that we were losing the battle of manuervering our vessel through the many dead trees protruding up out of Lake Volta. The wind was blowing so powerfully that the engine was not strong enough to gain control of the direction. There was a moment of real panic when the boat slammed into a tree and made a horrible cracking sound. At that instant I realized I was out of my comfort zone. I did not like the thought of being thrown overboard in Lake Volta without a preserver. The Krachi Queen is seaworthy but I am not sure it would pass American standards for safety. The thought of being one and a half hours from our destination was not a happy one for me.



I found myself crying out to God and asking for His hand to come down to protect us. Over the past few years I've often shared my brazen bravery about meeting death face to face--how I did not fear death at all. Well, I think I have to take all that back. I feared death on Lake Volta that day . I just could not imagine swimming in that demonic lake during that storm and surviving.



I have slowly been able to absorb the stories that the children shared with us. I reflect how they told of many times they have seen dead bodies pop up on the surface after working loose from the nets. They all shared that they had seen at least five to six friends drown during their work on the lake.

I have found renewed strength and energy for these children. I am committed to continue working and praying for the rescue of many more children sold into slavery.

2 comments:

Tammie's Thoughts said...

I pray for you and your efforts daily. My trip to Ghana in Februrary was life changing and I did not do nearly the hard work that you did. I did see the children at Village of Hope smiling and basking in the love of God and the staff there! Praise God for your efforts and may he continue to bless you richly!

Sue Nahm said...

I am so happy you now have a blog! I was deeply moved by your story since reading about your work in the nytimes...this will be a great way to stay connected. Will definitely keep you in my prayers. I have traveled to northern Uganda and work on refugee/idp issues. I totally understand what you mean about feeling overwhelmed by the problems. Keep on shining the light of Jesus.