:: How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ::

Anne Frank

Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Touching Lives Stateside

(Posted by Bud Reed)

One of the ministries Touch A Life does when we're home is visiting hospice patients. A part of that discipline is called "Angel Watch". When a patient is very near death and they have no close friends or relatives to sit with them, hospice sends a team of people to just sit with them to make sure they don't die alone.

I got a call on the 20th about one of our patients needing an angel watch. Over the past six days I'd made numerous visits to sit with him, read scripture, sing carols and provide touch and encouragement. He was pretty unresponsive the whole time, and particularly so the last few days. Christmas morning I just felt I should go share the whole gospel story to him. When I arrived in his room I found no change from Christmas Eve: Mouth open, eyes mostly closed and glazed, very shallow breaths sometimes several seconds apart, oxygen cup over his mouth and nose, almost comatose.

As usual, I touched his shoulder and greeted him. Then, starting with Gabriel's announcement, going through turning water to wine, restoring sight to the blind, healing the sick, raising the dead, then on to Jesus' death, resurrection and ascension and His promise to come back for those who are His. I just told him the Good News. Then, quoting Romans 10:9 and 10, I asked Him to confess his belief that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God and his belief that God raised Him from the dead to provide salvation to those who believe. I said, I know you can't talk right now, but just blink or close your mouth if you confess Jesus as Lord.

And he immediately closed his mouth! Decisively! I believe I detected just a slight uptick like a grin.

I then went on to sing a few Christmas carols to him, provided some more encouragement through touch and words...while dancing for joy on the inside.

He may have belonged to Jesus for decades but it sure was neat for God to relieve my concerns about him.

Merry Christmas from all of us at Touch A Life

No comments: