:: How wonderful is it that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world. ::

Anne Frank

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Update on Ghana kids

Pam is in Ghana this week and just sent the following update on the kids...

The kids are great and I cannot tell you how the are just blossoming. Yesterday we spent all day on Matilda's porch painting with watercolors. You talk about warm my heart seeing the kids so into their project and chewing BUbble Yum and enjoying their suckers lost in a world of creativity. Little Alex who was moved when Bud came. He was so quiet and very withdrawn with me. Yesterday he came to life with his paper and paints. He worked and worked and never looked up only to smile and share how happy he was in his element. He was so proud of himself and was just beaming. He is our little artist just budding out. Spent a good time having Matilda translate some hard questions and just talking for hours with the kids and allowing them to share.

Mark's mother came to visit. Matilda got her whole story. Her husband left her and fled to Nigeria and she was left with the 3 kids. Kofi, Hagar and Mark were sold when she said she could not feed them. She showed up husbandless with a little girl on her back under the age of one. She wanted Matilda and Margaret to take and care for that child. The women were not very impressed with her to say the least. Mark cried and clung to Margaret and said, this is my mother. Hagar was happy to see her mother and very interested in the little sister. Kofi was just okay. Mark does not even remember that he had a mother and was very confused and scared. So he was very small when she sold him. These stories just broke my heart. Hagar of course had made me cards and had bookmarkers and was so happy to give me her gifts. I just love that child and there is something so special about her.

John Arthur is the most beautiful child and melts my heart. Everyone brags on him and his leadership and they say he takes a father role. Immanuel patted his tummy and said, he eats soooooooooooooooooo much and we cannot cook enough rice for him. John is just smiling the whole time and looks at his V of H father with such acceptance. His ball boots fit and he was very happy and then helped Ezekiel find a pair that fit.

Kobi is doing awesome and is all smiles. He cracks me up because he lost his baby teeth and has not quit grown into his new teeth and they are extemely laaaaaaaaaaaaarge and it has changed his whole looks. I just remember Kobi being so small and now he is meaty and playing catch up and growing like a weed. It is just amazing to think of the little scared boy that was on the island this time last year. Now he is running around and kicking a soccer ball non-stop and very agressive and confident.

Richard still breaks my heart. Pray for him. Just something so broken about his eyes still. There is nothing to worry about with Kofi, he is so strong and smiles with confidence. He is precious. Kojo, same old Kojo, laid back, smiley, and so easy-going.

Sara loved her new clothes and bathed quickly and wore her new shirt and flip-flops immediately. That child is so gorgeous. V of H printed a new brochure and Sara's smile is on the front just radiant. I know why they picked her because she just lights up a room.

Ezekiel and Ebenezer cannot be described in words how happy they are. EZ never is without a smile. Ebenezer is always two inches from me and likes to be my assistant. They are wonderful little boys. They told me yesterday that they have brothers that are still fishing. I will ask George about all of this today when I see them. They also shared that they still have many friends out on the lake working. I needed this trip to rekindle the fight in me.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Pam,
Thanks for blogging about your trip, I was hopeful that you would! Please say hi to the kids that were at Golden Village when Bud, Karen and I were there: Kobi, Ebenezer, Ezekiel? perhaps there are others. They may remember the American in the Cowboy hat. With you in spirit!

Pat Stark

Pat said...

Hey can you upload some photos? That would be cool!!